photo LeslieSwanhalfbannerad2014_zpsd588788a.jpg

Monday, January 14, 2013

Napa Getaway


Pinned Image


I just spent the weekend in Napa on a business trip with my husband. We often spend time in Sonoma, so Napa was a fun change. Someone else put together our agenda. We stayed at the Embassy Suites Napa because that is where the conference was being held. (The shopper in me loved that it was right across from the outlets and just off the highway.) It is also just a few blocks from downtown Napa.

 We hired a driver ($35 an hour) and had him shuttle us around in an SUV. There were 3 couples and it was a perfect fit. We started off with a mid-morning tasting appointment at Frank Family Vineyards in Calistoga. One of the couples in our group belong to their wine club so we were able to buy wine at a small discount. I think early morning is best, because as we were leaving there was a line outside.

Then we took a short drive into Calistoga for lunch at Brannans. We were able to make a reservation here and enjoy a nice leisurely lunch with more wine, of course! I loved their truffle fries! Our next scheduled tasting and cave tour was at Cuvaison Estate at their Calistoga tasting room. The staff was amazingly friendly and knowledgeable about their wines. You can tell they were really passionate about what they do.

image from mummnapa.com

To finish the day, we headed to Mumm Napa, in Rutherford. It was the place to be, I couldn't believe how busy it was. It was the perfect late afternoon tasting. They have a large patio and the most amazing treats to enjoy. We chose the dry selection of 4 sparkling wines and indulged on the champagne and caramel truffles. They were a prefect mix.

We finished off our day at Angele in Napa for dinner. They had a very popular bar. We enjoyed a few more bottles of amazing wine. I choose the sunchoke soup and the kabocha squash tortellinis with Pancetta and apple vinaigrette. I have to say the best was saved for last. I almost licked the dish in was so good. My husband and I shared the banana gratin with almond crust and vanilla bean ice cream. It was the most amazing way to end a fabulous day!

I indulged in a little shopping on my trip home and I was refreshed and relaxed. Napa proved to be the perfect getaway!

Posted by Liz

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...