photo LeslieSwanhalfbannerad2014_zpsd588788a.jpg

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Turn Off the TV

This afternoon, just after lunchtime, I quickly glanced at the newspaper and saw a picture of Dora the Explorer. Yes, it is sad what catches my eye these days.

As I unfolded to see why there was a picture of her on the front of the Calendar section of the LA Times, I discovered that there was an article explaining that kids watch more TV than ever - especially in the 2 to 5 age group. According to new findings released by Nielson on Monday, 2 to 5 year olds watch TV 32 hours a week on average.

I quickly glanced over my shoulder to see both of my kids watching Dora the Explorer on Nick Jr. What a coincidence! (I knew what they were watching before I looked over my shoulder, but it was at that point I put two and two together.) I let my kids finish that episode and then turned off the TV. And what did we do after that?

Well, let me show you!

We made ghosts out of tissues! Okay, so they might not be the most professional looking ghosts, but I worked with what I had around the house: a box of tissues, white dental floss, black Sharpie, and gold/orange curling ribbon. We made 12 ghosts and then strung them up with curling ribbon to make a ghostly garland!

The kids were so excited to make their own spooky Halloween decorations and I didn't even need to leave the house for my materials (which is a plus with my maniac almost 2 year old. You should have seen her at the post office today!!!).

Don't get me wrong, I am not condemning TV. The article in the newspaper was just a little wake up call for me that it was time to turn it off!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Your kids are adorable and I love the ghost garland!

funfavorites said...

Cute idea Les! I bet they had a blast.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...