photo LeslieSwanhalfbannerad2014_zpsd588788a.jpg

Thursday, February 16, 2012

14 Days of Love - Recap

A couple of weeks ago I shared with you my "14 day of Love" plan.  In a nutshell, instead of waiting until Valentine's Day to tell my husband why I love him, I decided to break it up into 14 days, culminating on Valentine's Day.  I figured this would be more heart-felt and romantic.

Now that the 14 days of Love are over, I am happy to tell you it was a great success.  But I also have to admit it was hard and, at times, awkward.  (Crazy, right!?!) 

The thing is, we say "I love you" to each other at least once a day.  However, throwing in the "because" added a whole new twist.  I think it was a great twist for me because I wasn't just saying "I love you" to say it.  I was putting thought into why I actually love him.  After 8 years of marriage and two kids, it can be easy to forget the reasons why you love someone.  Not to mention, sometimes those reasons for loving someone can easily turn into annoyances if you let them.   It felt good to share with him the "why."  And he did seem to mind it one bit either.  In fact, without even being on the plan, he started sharing why he loves me as well.  



Having said all that, it was awkward at times because I felt like I was being so obvious with my feelings.  (As I type that, I realize there is really nothing wrong with being obvious when it comes to your feelings, especially with the person you are supposed to love the most. But in our society, it seems like you are supposed to just fall into the "Everybody Loves Raymond" annoyed spouse kind of plot line, so the "lovey dovey" stuff can seem cheesy.  And only Chester the Cheetah likes to be cheesy!)  It was hard at times because relationships aren't perfect and when I may have been slightly mad at him, I didn't want to shower him with love.  But knowing that I committed to my plan made it easier to let go of the anger and feel more positive about my feelings. 

Oh yeah, and like I diet, I may have skipped a couple of days.  But I then doubled-up on the following day.  Since he had no idea of my plan, he was none the wiser when I missed a day or doubled-up a day.

Overall, I give my 14 days of Love plan an A+!  I think I might want to start a 365 days of Love plan next!


Image taken by Melissa Vossler Photography

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...