photo LeslieSwanhalfbannerad2014_zpsd588788a.jpg

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Impromptu Trip to the Local Fire Station

In my attempt to clean/throw out the stuff I don't use any more in preparation for the big move, I found a couple of old prescriptions that I knew I wasn't supposed to just throw away in the trash can. But where are you supposed to take unused medications or used medical supplies(a.k.a. potentially hazardous materials)?

Well, according to two different pharmacies I spoke with, you are supposed to take them to your local fire station.

So that is just what I did with the kids today. And it was just our luck that the firefighters took a liking to the kids and gave them an entire tour of the fire house. The kids received their own (plastic) fire hats and sticker badges and even got to sit in the fire truck. We even got to see
where they cook/eat and hang out.

My five year old son absolutely loved the tour. My daughter was a bit frightened by all the big trucks (which was kind of surprising since she is typically fearless). Even I thought it was cool to see a fire truck up close without any sort of emergency needed.

What seemed like a mundane errand turned into an exciting adventure!

1 comment:

Susie Sagun said...

This is so sweet! I used to do this when my kids were little. I love that the firemen took the time to make this so much fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...