photo LeslieSwanhalfbannerad2014_zpsd588788a.jpg

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Curse of a Sleeping Baby

My husband and I should have known better...but we did it anyway.

When your infant sleeps well, under no circumstances should you ever tell anyone that your baby is doing so. Why, you ask? My past two sleepless nights is the easiest answer I can give you.

Our daughter slept for 7 hours straight on Saturday night and 8 hours straight on Sunday night. We thought we were on our way to a normal life again. Of course, we had to blow it by telling people she was sleeping well. A cardinal sin new parents should be advised of. We didn't volunteer the information, it was asked of us in both cases. I even underestimated saying she had been sleeping 5 to 6 hours in hopes of not getting the curse. But we did anyway.

Yesterday, not only did my daughter not sleep well the night before, she didn't take a good nap throughout the day either.

So here is my advice on a sleeping baby:
  • let a baby sleep as much as he/she wants, whether it is during the day or at night

  • try to get your baby to sleep as much during the day as possible so that he/she will sleep better at night (sounds like a child would be well rested by sleeping all day, but in fact, it keeps them in a sleepy state throughout the night, too!)

  • The old saying is very true...never wake a sleeping baby, unless you have a really good reason (i.e. your baby is malnourished and you need to feed him/her)
  • don't let your baby sleep in your bed with you unless you are okay with you not sleeping soundly, possibly rolling over on him/her and/or having your baby sleep in your bed for the rest of his/her young life (even if you are okay with it, you better consult with your spouse because your baby may not have any other siblings, if you know what I mean!)

  • lastly, and this is the big one...don't ever tell others that your child is sleeping well until they have done it continuously for at least 2 weeks

  • oh, and another important one...if your infant hasn't been sleeping well at night, then you shouldn't be blogging, you should be sleeping (do as I say, not as I do!)

2 comments:

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

good to know! our baby comes in April - I will make sure to not mention sleeping habits!

The Mrs. said...

I agree completely!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...